Paleonet: lower Carboniferous rugose corals

David Kopaska-Merkel davidkm at gsa.state.al.us
Wed Aug 8 13:20:13 GMT 2007

The Mississippian system of the Southeastern United States and nearby areas appears to be rich in unnamed rugose coral taxa.  As far as I know there is currently no taxonomist working on these critters.  If I am wrong, please give me the name and contact information that you have.  I also would like to recommend Mississippian rugosa as a good field of study for any systematist or paleontologist willing to do systematics to get at something else.  A colleague, doing geologic field mapping in northeastern Alabama, has discovered multiple sites with abundant and previously unremarked rugosans of an apparently unnamed species.  I know from personal experience that this is far from a unique case.  So if anyone would like to look at these things we can provide specimens from localities with a current geologic map and precise and accurate location data.  Previous work on the rugosans of Alabama is limited, but stratigraphy and structural geology and some other aspects of paleontology are well understood.  Let me know if you are interested or know someone who might be.

Thank you,
David

David C. Kopaska-Merkel
Geological Survey of Alabama