Paleonet: Help with German translation: (only a few words!)

Anthony Butcher Anthony.Butcher at port.ac.uk
Thu Aug 16 16:17:26 GMT 2007

Dear all,

I was wondering if anyone can help me with a translation of the following words from German to English.

It may seem like I'm just being lazy, but I have tried a number of different resources to translate these, and not found any results that make sense...honest!

Many thanks in advance,

Tony.

köpfchen: ‘gumption; savvy’ (I like to think that ancient plankton may have had gumption, but I doubt this is correct!)
Pleuridie / Pleuridien: ('Pleur-' I think is Latin for 'side', but not sure of the actual translation here: I believe the term is the same in French also)
Kieselschiefer: 'pebble-schist; flint-slate'
saugnapfähnlich: 'cup- or sucker-like'
eingeschnürrt: ?
Ast oder Zweig:'branch or branch' (?!)
Fixationspunkte: ‘anchorage articles’ (anchorage points?)

_________________________________

Dr Anthony Butcher
Palynological Research
University of Portsmouth