Paleonet: question about holotype specimens

Jozsef Palfy palfy at nhmus.hu
Thu Aug 23 14:58:20 GMT 2007

Dear All,

I'm still working on the type catalogue of our museum.

I've bumped into the following problem:

A decapod crustacean species was described and its holotype designated
as a carapax, declared in the publication to be deposited in the Vienna
Nat Hist Museum, whereas the paratypes were deposited in our museum in
Budapest. When checking all the paratypes, I have noticed that we also
have in our holding the external mould of the holotype carapax.

Would our specimen, the external mould, also qualify as holotype, as it
constitutes the fossil record of the same individual? Or should the
holotype be understood as a unique physical fossil specimen, or solely
the one that was stated originally by the author?

I have browsed through the relevant sections of the ICZN but remained
ambiguous. I appeal to your collective wisdom - thanks for any help in
interpretation or comments you may have.

cheers,

Jozsef

--
Jozsef Palfy