Paleonet: question about holotype specimens

Jere H. Lipps jlipps at berkeley.edu
Fri Aug 24 02:00:02 GMT 2007

Ah yes, John P., and this would be the best way to do it.  But if it
was not done this way, then you are stuck with whichever part was so
designated by the original author.   Actually, the part and
counterpart may not be valid as holotypes, since a holotype must be a
single name-bearing specimen.   Some might argue that part and
counterpart represent a single specimen (as John P. did and so
designated, and as John L. and Dr. Kruse state) while others might
argue that only one of them counts.  Depends on the definition of a
"specimen" and the desires of the original author.   Peter argues
that the counterpart cannot be considered a paratype, but, as this is
another specimen (i.e., a separate fossil, perhaps of the same
individual), even if it is a mould, under the rules, it could be a
paratype if the author so designated it.   No one else can make it a
paratype.  A reason for this is that there is always a possibility
that the counterpart really does not belong with the part or so it
could be argued.  One single specimen prevents argument about what
the characteristics of that species, as named, boil down to, whereas
two specimens open up debate on a fundamental aspect.  It does not,
of course, prevent arguments about whether or not the species is
valid or not (I don't mean in a nomenclatorial way, but in whether or
not the species is biologically meaningful), but that's an interpretation.

In any case, a holotype must be designated by the original author in
her/his original publication.  In the present case, I gather that the
author did not designate the mould, therefore it has no standing as a
holotype for sure.  Did he designate it as a paratype or a
syntype?  If not, then it has no nomenclatorial standing.  If you
believe with some certainty that more than one specimen came from the
same individual (as in a bird captured alive, then all the bones,
feathers, skin, and organs are part of the holotype), an original
author can designate them as the holotype collectively.  If the bird
were a fossil with the bones scattered all over, then an author would
be well advised to pick her/his holotypes carefully.  The most
careful way to do that is to select only one specimen, for example
the skull of the fossil bird.  However, another person or even the
original author cannot add another specimen to a validly designated
holotype later on.  None of us, including the original author under
consideration here, can change the originally published designations
of what constitutes the holotype (or paratypes or syntypes).   All of
this discussion really has no bearing on that.  What some of us are
saying is that it would be sensible to include it and some (me, at
any rate) think it is more practical retain only a single specimen as
a holotype.  It makes no difference under the Code what any of us
think, however, because only the original paper matters.

Article 73.1.5 states only that a holotype consisting of many
elements, which is clearly possible if the author wants to do it, may
have some of those elements removed from holotypic status by later
investigators if they determine that those elements represent another
taxon.  This of course is another good reason for picking a single
specimen as the holotype.  Although Dr. Kruse thinks it is crazy not
to designate a mould or cast of a specimen as part of the holotype,
that is still up to the author.  In other words, he could do that and
I could designate a single fossil and we are both correct under the
rules.  But he could not add to my holotypic designation nor I to his
unless I claimed that the mould was a different taxon (which is
always possible, even if it's not reasonable) and wanted to exclude
it from the holotypic series he chose.  An author has choice in the
matter of designation of a holotype, and one could make the skull of
the living bird (above) the holotype, even though everything else is
there.   The designation of one part of an individual as a holotype
does not make the remaining parts holotypes, if they were not
originally designated by the author.  Holotypes, no matter what that
term includes, can only be designated by an author publishing the
information correctly.   Later authors cannot make or eliminate
holotypes.  They can choose a lectotype from a designated set of
syntypes or a neotype from another set of specimens if the holotype
is lost, or they can put the species (and its holotype) in synonymy
with another species.    The 4th Edition ICZN (on-line version) does
not recognize isotypes.

I understand the desire and the logic, as Dr. Kruse noted, of
including these various things together as the holotype.  But the
species concept of the original author is her/his to define and if he
did not include the mould, it has no standing other than as a
topotype.   If it were me doing the original work, I'd designate the
part the holotype and the counterpart a paratype, even if I was
certain that they came from the same individual just to avoid any
other possible interpretations.   Or both of them as syntypes, if you
believe that such a designation is helpful--I think this is not the
way to go because we never know what future studies may turn
up.   That's why we have single holotypes as name bearers.

Now don't hit me with the idea that this is unrealistic, because I
know that, but we are not dealing with reality anyway when we
consider  a single specimen or even 10 dozen specimens as adequately
representing a species.  Species descriptions are hypotheses offered
by authors and they are subject to disproof and revision.   Sooner or
later, having a single specimen may become necessary in order to
clearly define certain characteristics that the named hypothesis
(species) represents and to separate it from other such
hypotheses.  The names are another matter and the rules are the way
we do the book-keeping, hopefully not the science.

It's really not a big deal biologically; it's just a way to keep
things clear.  Sort like the way the Motor Vehicle Code works to keep
us from driving in chaos (at least in some places).   Rod has
interpreted a rule, which cannot be done.   It would be like saying
that it's ok to go through a red light under certain logical
conditions one believes makes it ok, but it is still a violation of
the Code.  The ICZN, like Motor Vehicle Codes, tells us not where we
want go but only how to move in an orderly fashion.  The
interpretation is in where to go or the path to take, not in how we
do it.   It's not about science or biology or species, it's about the
rules.  We should follow the rules.  The rules were set up to keep
things orderly so we know what was used and for what, to name a
species.   I hope that any reasonable paleontologist or biologist
would recognize that all the specimens are important in trying to
understand what constitutes the species hypothesis under
consideration, hence museums should preserve both the part and
counterpart, as well as a bunch of paratypes and topotypes, no matter
how they were designated.

Jere