Paleonet: Bad stuff

Jere H. Lipps jlipps at berkeley.edu
Tue Aug 28 14:03:38 GMT 2007

It is too bad that the perps can't be hanged, but I think this is an
opportunity to make a big issue out of fossil protection.   The
International Paleontological Association has a project on protection
of field sites (which I have been assigned to oversee), and I'd love
to use this as a way to call attention to the general public
world-wide..  Certainly, it would help in America where this sort of
thing would not be so surprising to me.   I wonder if the Belgians
would drive through a World Heritage Site like that if  it was in
Belgium?   I'd guess not, so the importance of fossil deposits needs
more public attention.

If anyone has an opportunity to get this issue into your local or
national press, please do it.  Let me know, please.   If anyone has
any ideas on how to do that, please let me know too, so that the IPA
can jump into this with a letter or comment.    IPA corresponded with
World Heritage to get that whale site recognized, so IPA already has
a legitimate reason to get involved.   Anything you can do to help us
on this would be greatly appreciated--ideas, comments, contacts, etc.

We have to act fast however.

Thanks,

Jere