Paleonet: Bad stuff

David Kopaska-Merkel davidkm at gsa.state.al.us
Tue Aug 28 16:27:33 GMT 2007

I don't know what can be done quickly, but this is something that could
be done in conjunction with a quick response.  Is it possible to develop
a local volunteer organization to help protect the site?  We have only
one protected fossil site in the state of Alabama so far as I know, and
in the beginning it was protected by amateur fossil collectors who of
course volunteered their time.  The site is now owned by the state, but
I think its only real protection comes from monthly visits by the same
group of volunteers.  (They have always turned over any unusual
specimens to museums.)

David

David C. Kopaska-Merkel
Geological Survey of Alabama
P.O. Box 869999
Tuscaloosa AL 35486-6999
(205) 247-3695 (direct line/voice mail)
(205) 349-2852 (switchboard)
fax 349-2861
www.gsa.state.al.us

To join sednet, an e-mail group for discussion of sedimentology, send a
blank e-mail message to sednet-subscribe at yahoogroups.com.

Fun size fiction daily at www.dailycabal.com
<http://www.dailycabal.com/>
.