Paleonet: Bad stuff

CNRS-Christian Emig christian.emig at univmed.fr
Tue Aug 28 18:00:40 GMT 2007

I have in mind that each country manage the paleo problems according
to the knowledge and education of  the citizens  - for example in
France the education programme dealing with geology is so week -
nothing in primary - a litlle in the "college"  - then nothing else
until the university for students in Earth sciences !
OK ? What can be the opinion about fossil preservation - when you can
buy a lot of fossil online and in specific market, even the image of
the scientist is used for. Sell fossils to earn money ! That is a job
as another when nobody knows what is the importance of the fossil
preservation.

And that is not only French, I'm studying a specific fossil outcrop
in Sweden - perhaps protected in the futur - but at present several
associations have proposals for fossil collecting trips there, using
ecological purposes - spend a Sunday collecting fossils and to enjoy
a nice trip!

Consequently the problem is always a local one.

When writting:
"National Geographic is read around the world by all ages and would
be a good way to reach a non-scientific audience. "
That is right but in English and the question is how many people can
read  the "National Geographic" and  how many people read the
"National Geographic" out of the "English sphere". In concrete in
France, in Belgium for ex. ?