Paleonet: publication date

Bruno Granier granierbruno at orange.fr
Thu Dec 18 23:14:49 GMT 2008

Daniele Scarponi a écrit :
> Hi and Season's Greetings to everyone,
> I have difficulties in stating which of the two below mentioned books has been published first. Is there anyone that could help me?
> Risso, A. (1826) Histoire Naturelle des Principales Productions de l'Europe Méridionale et Particulièrement de Celle des Environs de Nice et des Alps Maritimes. Vol. 4. F.-G. Levrault, Paris, vii + 439 pp., 12 pls.
> Payraudeau, B.-C. (1826) Catalogue Descriptif et Méthodique des Annélides et des Mollusques del'Ile de Corse, avec huit Planches Représentant Quatre-vingt huit Espèces dont Soixante-huit Nouvelles. Levrault Bechet, Paris, 7 + 218 pp., 8 pls.
> Cheers
> Daniele Scarponi

Hi,
A search on Google for
Catalogue Descriptif et Méthodique des Annélides et des Mollusques de
l'ile de Corse, avec huit Planches Représentant Quatre-vingt huit
Espèces dont Soixante-huit Nouvelles
returned 7 results. I checked the 2nd on the list
http://books.google.fr/books?id=FRAAAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA8-IA5&lpg=PA8-IA5&dq=Catalogue+Descriptif+et+M%C3%A9thodique+des+Ann%C3%A9lides+et+des+Mollusques+de+l%27ile+de+Corse,+avec+huit+Planches+Repr%C3%A9sentant+Quatre-vingt+huit+Esp%C3%A8ces+dont+Soixante-huit+Nouvelles&source=bl&ots=vjZZPQAPPZ&sig=FUAztYQUHvkEjE6mqvZMHtIKKG8&hl=fr&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=2&ct=result#PPA1,M1
In the forewords by Mr Latreille from the French Academy of Sciences, it
is said that in the session of the 19th of the past month (the forewords
are part of the session of March 12th), that is on February 19th, Mr
Payraudeau offered/presented a version of his catalogue prossibly
printed (as its described as "formant un volume in-8°  de 218 pages,
avec 8 planches lithographiées)

For the Risso's publications I only found Tome V and I. Apparently all
the Tomes were published in 1826
Regarding Tome I (448 p.)
http://books.google.fr/books?id=DicaAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA207&dq=risso+Histoire+naturelle+des+principales+productions+de+l%E2%80%99Europe+m%C3%A9ridionale+et+particuli%C3%A8rement+de+celles+des+environs+de+Nice+et+des+Alpes+Maritimes,+vol.+4#PPP5,M1
on its back there are references to other books available from the same
publisher (F.G. Levrault), including Opuscules Phytologiques by  A.H.G.
de Cassini
http://books.google.fr/books?id=fhEAAAAAQAAJ&dq=Opuscules+phytologiques+Cassini&printsec=frontcover&source=bl&ots=BTDeHKdQxo&sig=HNBH6mbymASbcx5XcS-_MvJAVKE&hl=fr&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=1&ct=result#PPR38,M1
the long forewords (xxxvi pages) end with a date May 9th, 1826

In conclusion, my understanding is that Payraudeau came before Risso.
;)