Paleonet: Fwd: Growth Fault Dating Project

Roy Plotnick plotnick at uic.edu
Mon Dec 22 02:46:04 GMT 2008

Anyone have any suggestions? - Roy

Begin forwarded message:

> From: "Mark Hutson" <mhutson at geo-hydro.com>
> Date: December 18, 2008 2:31:52 PM CST
> To: <plotnick at uic.edu>
> Subject: Growth Fault Dating Project
>
> Roy
>
> I've recently been involved in a Texas project that includes an
> effort to determine how much, if any, displacement has occurred
> along a series of growth faults along the Gulf coast.  Our client
> wants to know how much displacement has occurred over the last
> couple of hundred years.  We have located the trace of the faults
> on the surface and trenched across the trace to identify
> displacement.  We have collected samples of the upper couple of
> meters of soil and are having them run for Cesium137 and Lead 210
> to see if we can date any of the soil.  It is unclear at this point
> how successful that will be.
>
> In the trench walls we encountered two clay layers that contain
> what appear to be snail shells.  The shells from the upper layer
> are very well preserved and remain pretty solid and easy to remove
> from the clay.  The lower shells are much more fragile and appear
> to be more weathered.  I was wondering if you know of anyone we
> might have take a look at a few of these shells to see what we can
> find out from them.
>
> Also, the area of Texas where we are working was originally
> grassland but the grass was replaced by mesquite after cattle
> grazing started in the 1800's.  Do you know of anyone who might be
> able to look at a few samples to see if changes in pollen (or other
> things) content in the sediment might help us date the layers.
>
> I don't know if you know anyone who works along the Gulf coast or
> not, but figured I might as well ask.  We have budget to spend on
> getting the work done if we can find someone who might be able to
> help.
>
> I hope all is well  with you.  Have a nice break and great holidays.
> Take care.
> Mark
>
> Mark Hutson
> Geo-Hydro, Inc.
> 303-948-1417
> mhutson at geo-hydro.com

Roy E. Plotnick
Professor
University of Illinois at Chicago
845 W. Taylor St.
Chicago, IL 60607
E-mail: plotnick at uic.edu

office phone: 312-996-2111     fax: 312-413-2279
lab phone: 312-355-1342
web page: http://www.uic.edu/~plotnick/plotnick.htm
"The scientific celebrities, forgetting their molluscs and glacial
periods, gossiped about art, while devoting themselves to oysters and
ices
with characteristic energy.." -Little Women, Louisa  May Alcott