Paleonet: Guanling 2010 Symposium on Marine Vertebrates

Ryosuke Motani rmotani at ucdavis.edu
Sat Oct 3 00:36:40 GMT 2009

Guanling County, Guizhou, China will host Guanling 2010 Symposium on
Marine Vertebrates next summer (Aug. 28-29, 2010), followed by a field
trip (Aug. 30-Sep. 2).  Guanling has yielded many interesting Late
Triassic crinoids and marine reptiles, including the oldest turtle
Odontochelys, ichthyosaurs, placodonts, and thalattosaurs.

There is a meeting announcement page at:
http://marinereptile.org/

This is a great opportunity to take a look at fossil collections and
localities that are difficult to reach yourself. International attendees
are expected to fly to Guiyang, the capital of Guizhou Province, where
they will be picked up by meeting organizers and shuttled to Guanling.
Such air tickets are readily available online (e.g., Travelocity and
Expedia).  Hotel rooms will be reserved for all international attendees
too--the cost is still unknown at this point.  Meeting registration fee
of about $75 US will apply separately.

We would appreciate it if you could let us know of your early interests
in attending this symposium (there is a form at the web site, or you can
just email me--rmotani at ucdavis.edu or Da-yong--djiang at pku.edu.cn).

The meeting is made possible thanks to efforts of my colleague Da-yong
Jiang of the Peking University and his team, as well as Guanling and
Anshun Governments.

Ryosuke Motani, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Dept. Geology, UC Davis