Paleonet: Bivalve Treatise on Invert Paleo, informal session at GSA Meeting in Portland, Oct. 18, 2009

Roger Thomas roger.thomas at fandm.edu
Tue Sep 15 17:42:23 GMT 2009

From:  Joe Carter and Roger Thomas

Re:    Treatise on Invertebrate Paleontology, Bivalve volumes
	  Informal meeting in Portand, Oregon on October 18, 2009

	Dear Colleagues,

	A great deal of preparatory work has been done for publication of
the revised edition of Part N (6) Bivalvia of the Treatise on
Invertebrate Paleontology.  The new bivalve treatise
will be the first in its series to appear both online and in the
conventional treatise format.

	The Portland meeting of the Geological Society of America provides
an opportunity for people working on this project to meet, for new
contributors to sign up, and for others to learn more about this work.

	Roger and I are still recruiting authors for detailed systematic
treatments of some families.

	At this meeting, we will discuss the preparation of an NSF proposal
to support systematic studies of individual families or
superfamilies.  We will also discuss academic year and summer funding
opportunities at UNC Chapel Hill for such studies as masters thesis
and/or doctoral dissertation topics.

	We will meet in Room F149 at the Oregon Convention Center at 5:00
p.m. on Sunday, October 18, 2009.

	We look forward to seeing those of you who can participate in this
gathering next month.

         Kind regards,    Joe and Roger
______________________________________
Roger D. K. Thomas
John Williamson Nevin Professor of Geosciences
Chair, Department of Earth and Environment
Secretary, The Paleontological Society
___________________________________
Department of Earth and Environment
Franklin & Marshall College