Paleonet: Urgh!

P. David Polly pdpolly at indiana.edu
Fri Jan 8 15:37:19 GMT 2010

Hi John,

Rebecca tells me she's supposed to be in France from middle of July, so I can't go anywhere then.  :-\    Can I help you find someone to do it?  In addition to Mark, I can think of the following people:

Anjali Goswami.  Excellent with morphometrics and a great teacher, but like me she uses Mathematica rather than R most of the time.

Murat Maga.  He was a student in the course a few years ago.  He's bloomed into a great morphometrician and uses R proficiently.  I don't know his experience as a teacher, but he seems like he would be a good one.  He has a postdoc now, but it may be a "job" (lab technician kind of thing that might make him less flexible for being away).  His details are:   A. Murat Maga, PhD, Senior Fellow, University of Washington, Dept. Pediatrics, Division of Craniofacial Medicine, 1959 NE Pacific St. HSB RR234, Seattle, WA 98195. (206) 616-9703  maga at u.washington.edu

Andrea Cardini.  He is a collaborator of mine, not a paleontologists but still a very good morphologist who has mixed with paleontologists and paleoanthropologists a lot.  I've seen Andrea give short courses in morphometrics and he's really good at it. I'm not positive if he works with R or not, but I think he does have some experience with it.  He is at Museo di Paleobiologia e dell'Orto Botanico, Universitá di Modena e Reggio Emilia, via Università 4, 41100, Modena, Italy.  alcardini at interfree.it

Nancy Budd.  She's great, but probably too busy to do it. http://myweb.uiowa.edu/abudd/

Will Harcourt-Smith.  He's a paleoanthropologist, formerly of London (Paul O'Higgins group), now of New York (eric Delson's group).  Will's great with morphometrics, really great.  and should be a good teacher, but he's out in the field a lot during the summer.  william.harcourt-smith at lehman.cuny.edu

Thos are the first people who come to mind, but I'm sure there are others.
pdp