Paleonet: mysterious lower Carboniferous fossil from Alabama

Lauren Sallan lsallan at uchicago.edu
Tue Nov 2 16:38:02 GMT 2010

Dear List,

Since there's interest, I'll post my private reply to David.

Those are likely durophagous (shell-crushing) chondrichthyan (sharks,
rays, and holocephalans) teeth, probably from Lagarodus or some other
psammodont like it. These kind of teeth quite common in certain early
Carboniferous formations.

http://www.rhyniechert.com/Mississippiansharks.html
http://www.buriedtreasurefossils.com/images_Paleozoic/images_Russian_Paleozoic/R061.jpg

Thanks,
Lauren
On Nov 2, 2010, at 11:32 AM, Georgiana L Wingard wrote:

> Dave,
> Did you try excavating them?  The close proximity and spacing makes
> me curious if they're connected somehow.  They look phosphatic . . .
> are they?
> Lynn
> _______________________
> G. Lynn Wingard, Ph.D.
> Geologist
> Eastern Geology and Paleoclimate Science Center
> US Geological Survey
> MS 926A National Center
> Reston, VA  20192
>
> http://sofia.usgs.gov/index.html