Paleonet: Polished clam identification?

Peter Roopnarine proopnarine at calacademy.org
Sun Nov 14 02:57:37 GMT 2010

On 11/13/2010 05:41 PM, Mark Storaasli wrote:
> You can't count on "supposed provenance"  -all clams I see look pretty
> modern-
> how far back does each genus appear in the fossil record? I think
> these are
> doubtfully any older than Cretaceous; more likely younger.
There's no reason to doubt the age assignment of Jurassic, particularly
given that specimens might be obtained from the same localities in
Madagascar as the echinoid /Pygurus/. It does indeed look veneroid
Paula. Maybe you need to find a collection from Sakahara and see if
there are unpolished specimens available. NMNH maybe? I don't think that
we have any, but I'll check.
Peter

--
Peter D. Roopnarine, Ph.D., Curator of Geology
Dept. of Invertebrate Zoology&  Geology

Tel. (415)379-5271
http://zeus.calacademy.org/roopnarine/peter.html
http://www.calacademy.org/blogs
http://proopnarine.wordpress.com
"The progress of science is...transformation of the qualitative into the quantitative." Atkins.