Paleonet: Question on skeleton formation

Stergios Zarkogiannis sterjios at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 7 11:46:27 GMT 2010

Dear all,

I would like to raise a question on the way skeletons are produced. Have
you ever come across, from any personal research or from any reference, the
percentages of organisms that calcify, silicify or produce chitinous skeletons?
Intuitively I believe that calcification is the dominant process, then comes
silicification and the rest is chitin but I do not have any reference or exact
numbers. Was this always true or is it different from the past? I am interested
in finding out about the preferred skeletization technique of today and if
possible of the past, as well.

I am looking forward to your reply.

Kindest regards,

Stergios