Paleonet: Question on skeleton formation

Stergios Zarkogiannis sterjios at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 7 23:54:16 GMT 2010

Thank you very much!

Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2010 08:46:35 -0500
From: davidkm at gsa.state.al.us
To: paleonet at nhm.ac.uk
Subject: Re: Paleonet: Question on skeleton formation

If I recall correctly, inarticulate
brachiopods have phosphatic skeletons, and articulate brachiopods have calcium
carbonate skeletons. The inarticulates developed shells first.

Because chitin is less durable than silica
and calcium carbonate it may be somewhat difficult to figure out how abundant
chitinous exoskeletons were in the distant past. I feel certain research on
this question has been published, but I'm not familiar with it.

My two cents about this interesting
question.

David

David C Kopaska-Merkel

Geological Survey of Alabama

Box 869999

Tuscaloosa AL 35486-6999

205-247-3695

www.gsa.state.al.us

fax 205-349-2861

Got questions? sednet might have answers: