Paleonet: Ad/website attacking fossil collecting

Roy Plotnick plotnick at uic.edu
Fri Oct 8 14:29:04 GMT 2010

  FYI: The following radio ad has been running in a number of media
markets, including Chicago and Denver (notice emphasized section):

"If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing you should do is stop
digging! Right now, Washington is spending...and spending, and spending,
at an alarming rate! They've overspent by 13 trillion dollars, nearly
the size of our entire economy, and they're not stopping. You don't have
to be an economist to see how this level of spending is unsustainable.
It isn't creating jobs, isn't moving the economy, it's just not working.
Hello? The bridge to no where was a drop in the budget. Today Washington
is spending billions on special interest projects, like tunnels for
turtles, and *digging for fossils in other countries*. It has to stop.
Go to bankruptingamerica.org and tell Washington to stop spending us
into the ground. Contact your congressman today. Help us climb out of
this hole. Hello? A little help down here? Learn more at
bankruptingamerica.org."

I would like to see the billions we are spending digging for fossils in
other countries! -

Also, from  the organization's website:
http://www.bankruptingamerica.org/2010/04/06/march-madness-recap-spending-gone-mad-rankings-65th-1st/
     "March Madness Recap: spending gone mad (rankings 65th-1st):
  35  - When will irresponsibility go extinct: Utah's Dinosaur National
Monument has received $7 million of stimulus funding to cover the entire
cost of a new visitor center
  12  - Maybe they'll dig up the secret to responsible government?: A
$1.47 million federal grant from stimulus funds is being used to look
for fossils in Argentina. Which will stimulate what again?"

  Roy

--
Roy E. Plotnick
Professor

E-mail: plotnick at uic.edu

office phone: 312-996-2111     fax: 312-413-2279
lab phone: 312-355-1342

web page: http://www.uic.edu/~plotnick/plotnick.htm

"The scientific celebrities, forgetting their molluscs and glacial periods, gossiped about art, while devoting themselves to oysters and ices with characteristic energy.." -Little Women, Louisa  May Alcott