Paleonet: marine fossils in coal

inselberg at cox.net inselberg at cox.net
Mon Oct 18 14:34:33 GMT 2010

Dr. James St. John asked:

“Hello - I am somewhat unfamiliar with the Carboniferous,
so I wanted to ask how common it is to find marine
fossils in bituminous coal beds?

We've found productids, bryozoans, crinoids, and
pectinacean bivalves on bituminous coal bedding planes
in the Pottsville Group (Lower Pennsylvanian, Upper
Carboniferous) in east-central Ohio, USA.

If these were washed in, I wonder why there's no
accompanying sediments diluting the coal. Could
marine organisms have settled upon a peat substrate
following a rapid transgression?

Any thoughts? Just curious!”

Christopher T. Baldwin replied:

“If you are dealing with coastal marshes (Think of the
outer edges of the present Mississippi delta, or any
other big delta for that matter) then you certainly would
expect marine organisms. Many coal seams are terminated
at their tops by a marine band that is composed of a
carpet of large mussel-like shells (Carbonicola, etc.)
These marine bands have high value as correlation tools.”

Dr. Robert A. Gastaldo and his coworkers have published a
number of excellent papers that nicely illustrate what
Dr. Baldwin writes about above. PDF files of these papers
can be found on his home page at:

http://www.colby.edu/~ragastal/Publications.htm

They include;

Pashin, J. C., and R. A. Gastaldo, 2009, Carboniferous of the
Black Warrior Basin, in Greb, S.F., and Chestnut, D.R., Jr.,
eds., Carboniferous geology and biostratigraphy of the
Appalachian and Black Warrior Basins: Kentucky
Geological Survey Special Publication 1, Series 12,
p. 10-21.

http://www.colby.edu/~ragastal/RAG_reprints/RAG2009f.pdf

Demko, T.M. and R. A., 1996, Gastaldo, R.A. Eustatic and
autocyclic influences on deposition of the Lower
Pennsylvanian Mary Lee Coal zone, Warrior Basin,
Alabama: International Journal of Coal Geology. vol. 31,
pp. 3-19

http://www.colby.edu/~ragastal/RAG_reprints/RAG1996b.pdf

Gastaldo, R. A., T. M. Demko, and Y. Liu, 1990, Carboniferous
coastal environments and paleocommunities of the Mary Lee
coal zone, Marion and Walker Counties, Alabama. A Guidebook
for Field Trip VI, 39th Annual Meeting Southeastern Section
of the Geological Society of America, Tuscaloosa, Alabama.
Geological Survey of Alabama, 139p

http://www.colby.edu/~ragastal/RAG_reprints/RAG1990d.pdf

Finally there is:

Liu, Y., and R. A. 1992, Gastaldo, R.A. Characteristics of a
Pennsylvanian ravinement surface: Sedimentary Geology,
vol. 77, no. 3-4 , pp. 197-214.

http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0037-0738(92)90126-C

Yours,

Paul