Paleonet: International Conference on Volcanism, Impacts and Mass Extinctions

argo at u.washington.edu argo at u.washington.edu
Tue Dec 6 20:00:50 GMT 2011

At the risk of sounding like sour grapes (which probably had not yet evolved when the Chicxulub impact body ended the Mesozoic so abruptly), the invited speaker list certainly omits the paleontologists who crossed swords with Gerta and Norm in the past on the subject of how fast dinosaurs, ammonites and other mollusks, and microfossils died out. Where is Jan Smit, for instance? Perhaps to make the conference less than a one-sided paean to volcanism, some breadth to the invited speakers list?  I for one would be happy to be invited and show new information from K/Pg at Seymour Island, Antarctica; from Queen Charlottes and Nevada on the T/J (including a Manicouagan horizon from the former); new information from the Pacific basins of P/T age; and from our five years of work on the Givetian/Frasnian event in the Canning Basin, Australia.  I think that is all of them except the Ordovician?
Professor Peter D Ward
Dept of Biology
The University of Washington
Seattle, 98195