Paleonet: Outreach for public science literacy

Mark Storaasli mstoraasli at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 01:37:50 GMT 2011

Dr. Ward,

  I will suggest that 'science outreach' is a doomed cause if it fails at
the level of
kindergarten-age students. My 5-year old grand daughter's response to Public
Broadcasting System's natural history programming ensures that she will read
the books that you would like to see her reading, including your own, which
will recommend. Our fascination with the molluscan Order Cephalopoda has not

yet fruited, but we are constantly reminded that house cats make many more
mistakes than a typical octopus would be allowed to!

  If you're not into rock, sand & dirt, pond scum, butterflies & people at
age 3 it's
likely that nothing except numerical/systematic paleontology will ever feel
right
to the mathematician whiz-kids you imagine?...so much for collecting rocks!
You
will have no choice, except to buy them at Tucson!

  Somebody should re-write *The Earth For Sam* maybe a U.S.G.S. project for
free distribution in multiple copies to any worldwide libraries?

~Mark Storaasli