Paleonet: Outreach for public science literacy

Brent & Diane Ashcraft ashcraft at clas.net
Thu Jun 2 04:14:45 GMT 2011

As a teacher of high school aged students, I would recommend teaching the
teachers.

-You higher academic types, think to your department, and how many education
majors are in there right now?

-Most teachers are not educated in evolution, geology, or paleoecology.  If
they don't know it , they can't teach it.

-Teachers are in contact with your target  population on a daily basis.

-Teachers in high school and lower are given professional development every
year, but it is centered around teaching strategies, not actual scientific
theory they can use in their classroom.  The reason for this is that nobody
is doing advanced professional development in their subject area, too hard
to find somebody to do it, too easy to find some hack educator with an
Education PhD to teach the development classes.

Spent 3 hours yesterday in professional development about how to turn a
smartboard into a worksheet.

Brent Ashcraft