Paleonet: Fwd: TRANSITIONS

Roy Plotnick plotnick at uic.edu
Tue Feb 28 17:21:48 GMT 2012

Dear Colleagues and Friends,

You may have heard of or been peripherally involved in a major
initiative in sedimentary geology and paleobiology, called TRANSITIONS.
  I'm pleased to say that even though this was finalized just recently,
it is already being used in strategic planning at NSF.  The timing was
fortuitous, as the NRC's NROES report came out just as we were
finalizing this initiative, so we had the opportunity to document the
convergence between the NROES report findings and recommendations and
the TRANSITIONS science plan.

This initiative is unique in that we are not only honoring, but
incorporating a broad body of work already produced by the community as
a whole, including many, if not all, of you.  So I thank the people who
were directly involved, but I thank also you and the community as a
whole for convincingly coming together (whether you knew it or not!)
behind a single intellectual challenge and the tools required to meet it.

You can download the initiative report at
http://www.uidaho.edu/sci/geology/sgpworkshop, along with the
preliminary workshop report and the community reports and initiatives on
which TRANSITIONS is based.

Judy Parrish