Paleonet: most iconic / most important fossils

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr. tholtz at umd.edu
Wed Nov 14 17:44:59 GMT 2012

I would say that the Great Animal of Maastricht (Mosasaurus hoffmani) as the first clues for a vanished Age of Reptiles, and the
type specimen of Homo neanderthalensis for the existence of fossil non-sapiens humans.

More parochially, and more recently in terms of scientific contributions, the discovery of Sinosauropteryx prima was the first
fossil to demonstrate the presence of feathers/feather homologues in dinosaurs well basal to Archaeopteryx, and kicked off the
current era of dinosaurian studies.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Email: tholtz at umd.edu	Phone: 301-405-4084
Office: Centreville 1216