Paleonet: most iconic / most important fossils

friedmanhvj at yahoo.com friedmanhvj at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 14 19:56:55 GMT 2012

I think it is important to introduce microfossils to your audience also. A lot of people are not aware of their existance in the fossil record. Microfossils have a tremendous importance in biostratigraphy (i.e oil exploration) and in paleoecology,paleoceanophaphic reconstructions,  for instance. In addition, some members of  the major groups Forams, Rads, diatoms, etc etc. possess outstandig beauty. Some microscopes and micropaleontological slides can be set up or everybody  to take a look.
Some good SEM pics of coccolithophores i.e Emiliania huxleyi in today Earth's oceans plankton will also add to  you educational project.

Virginia Friedman
Paleontologist