Paleonet: most iconic / most important fossils

Kenneth De Baets kenneth.debaets at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 11:24:51 GMT 2012

Hi Bjoern,

I have seen the ammonoids of the Hunsrück Slate appear in several books on
evolution (e.g., Hallam 1977. Patterns of Evolution) as an example of a
transitional series. It involves the series from the slightly coiled
bactritoid (Cyrtobactrites) to tightly coiled ammonoid (Mimagoniatites)
with all intermediates in between (compare Erben 1966; De Baets et al.
2009, 2012).

Best regards,

Kenneth

2012/11/14 bjoern kroeger <bk at tiefes-leben.de>

> Hello PaleoNet,
>
> I am preparing a paleontological museum educational project on the history
> of live (very general) and for that purpose would like to know, which
> fossils  could be considered by you as the most important / most iconic for
> our past & current understanding of evolution and the history of life.
>
> I think of the Archeopteryx as an icon for a "missing link", the "Ohio
> animal" as an icon for extinction.
>
> I also have fossils in mind, that are iconic for specific events, such as
> Anomalocaris for the Cambrian explosion.
>
> I don't have necessarily individual fossils in mind, but also suite's like
> Trueman's Gryphaea and Brinkmann's Kosmoceras for gradualism  Willimsons
> Turkana molluscs for punctualism (but see Van Bocxlaer et al. 2007) etc.
>
> Suggestions are welcome! (Probably there is already a compilation
> published somewhere?)
>
> Thank you,
> Björn Kröger
>

> ----------------------