Paleonet: Teaching: making paleo relevant

diane.brent.ashcraft diane.brent.ashcraft at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 20:14:46 GMT 2013

I teach intro biology classes for college.  When I get to evolution, I use examples of fossil evidence found specifically in our area, and how our enviornment has changed locally.  I also try to take a field trip to collect fossils and see some of the remnant habitat left.

Brent Ashcraft

Sent from Samsung tabletThomas Hegna <thegna at hotmail.com> wrote:All,
  To those of you who teach classes like Historical Geology, History of the Earth, and Paleontology: how do you make connections between events in the past (both in terms of mechanism and scale) and those we see today? I feel like thus far in my teaching I have kept these connections too general (sea-level rise, climate change, etc.) and not tied it down with meaningful specifics. How do others approach this?
Best,
Tom

Thomas A. Hegna

http://wiu.academia.edu/ThomasHegna