Paleonet: What's in a name?

David Campbell pleuronaia at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 15:30:57 GMT 2013

Not yet published, but the oldest available name for one group of
common freshwater snails is based on a fossil; they are currently
generally lumped under a name based on modern forms with similar
shells but different anatomy and DNA.  About six later names are based
on Recent type species.  Mollusks have a good enough fossil record
that it's not uncommon to have a fossil named before the Recent form,
at various taxonomic levels.