Paleonet: Crinoid (Uintacrinus) question

Shimada, Kenshu KSHIMADA at depaul.edu
Thu Nov 14 14:57:09 GMT 2013

Hi Everyone,

A crinoid (Uintacrinus) specimen that belongs to the San Diego Natural History Museum is up for sale at public auction on Nov. 19, 2013: http://images2.bonhams.com/original?src=Images/live/2013-10/23/S-21076-0-1.pdf.  This specimen (Lot # 1001) is certainly 'historically significant' as it was collected by Charles H. Sternberg.  Although I don't know its formal SDNHM catalogue number, I have a couple of questions regarding this specific specimen:

1) Has the specimen been referenced in any publication before, and if so, what is the citation of that work?

2) Has anyone collected data from the specimen with an intention to publish them some day?

If you can answer 'yes' to either or both questions, please write me back OFF LIST.  Please note that my message here represents neither a promotion of the sale nor an inquiry about the ethics involved in this case.  I am purely trying to determine the 'scientific significance' of the crinoid specimen.  The reason behind my question is explained in the official statement made yesterday by the Society of Vertebrate Paleontology: http://vertpaleo.org/The-Society/SVP---Paleo-News/Society-News-and-Events/Official-Statement--Impending-Public-Auction-of-Ve.aspx.

Thanks for your cooperation in advance.

Kenshu
________________________________
Kenshu Shimada, Ph.D.
Professor
Department of Environmental Science and Studies
   and Department of Biological Sciences
DePaul University
2325 N. Clifton Avenue
Chicago, IL 60614, USA