Paleonet: Commentary in PE on commercial fossil collecting

Roy Plotnick plotnick at uic.edu
Mon Apr 14 14:48:02 GMT 2014

A new commentary on commercial fossil collecting by Larson and Russell
has just been released on /Palaeontologia Electronica/:
(note that the .pdf link is broken - should be up soon):
http://palaeo-electronica.org/content/2014/739-commentary-benefits-of-fossil-sales

This is a follow-up to the earlier commentary by Shimada et al.:
http://palaeo-electronica.org/content/2014/691-great-threat-in-21st-century

To be clear, *I am not going to sponsor a debate here*.  I am giving
people an opportunity to state their cases in a clear, organized, and
non-confrontational (as much as possible) manner. My goal as PE
editorial editor has always been twofold: first, to provide a forum
where issues relating to the field can be discussed, even if they are
controversial - what I have called "heated discussions and strong
opinions."
http://palaeo-electronica.org/2008_2/commentary/comment.htm
That said, I am also trying to move these discussions away from the
often intemperate tone taken on listserves and similar social media
sites to something more mature. I am deeply concerned about the future
of our field, as are we all. I hope that these discussions can lead to
consensus that will benefit the science.

- Roy

--
Roy E. Plotnick
Professor

E-mail: plotnick at uic.edu
office 2454 SES
office phone: 312-996-2111     fax: 312-413-2279
lab phone: 312-355-1342

web page: http://www.uic.edu/~plotnick/plotnick.htm

"The scientific celebrities, forgetting their molluscs and glacial periods, gossiped about art, while devoting themselves to oysters and ices with characteristic energy.." -Little Women, Louisa  May Alcott