Paleonet: Friends of Phillip G. Owen

Lindsey Groves lgroves at nhm.org
Mon Dec 1 23:59:17 GMT 2014

To all of PaleoNet:

                It is my sad duty to announce the passing of Phillip Garry Owen, 71, on July 30, 2014.  Phil studied geology at Pierce Community College in Woodland Hills, CA and received a B.S. in Geology from San Fernando Valley State College (now = California State University, Northridge) in 1967.  He also did preliminary graduate work at UCLA under N. Gary Lane prior to being hired at the Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County by Dr. Edward C. Wilson.  He worked in the Invertebrate Paleontology Section from 1973 through 1995 as a Curatorial Assistant.  Thousands of handwritten labels in the IP collection bear his 'PGO' and/or 'P. Owen' moniker and many thousands of specimens were meticulously numbered by Phil all of which are evidence of the tremendous amount of cataloging work Phil did for the collection.  A middle Miocene brittle star Ophiocrossota oweni Blake, 1975 was named in his honor.   For those of us who have used the IP collection over the years, we are forever grateful for his dedication.  Phil was a fun-loving guy and his laugh was infectious.  His knowledge of the LACM IP collection was unparalleled and he will be missed by all who visited the section over the years of his tenure.

Aloha,

Lindsey

Lindsey T. Groves
Malacology Section, Collection Manager