Paleonet: "fake" journals

Bruno Granier bgranier at univ-brest.fr
Sun Dec 14 10:22:47 GMT 2014

Hi,
you are probably not aware of this new --at least to me-- kind of threat on
scientific publication (in addition to the many OA journals *** you have to
pay to publish in, /etc/.).
I regularly receive invitations to publish in these OA journals ... usually
I do not care because the OA journals associated to the invitation have no
IF. Here [I copy the invitation at the end of my message] the journal gets
an IF (a very low one) ... and I wanted to know more about it. I did not go
straight to the URL link but I googled the journal's name ... I found the
following information:
"You think this journal is real?
28 maart 2013 - Scientific authors must be ware: the newest trick of cyber
criminals is putting up fraudulent websites of reputable science journals.
The members of the editorial board don’t exist and publishing fees are
funnelled to Armenia." ... MORE ON
http://www.scienceguide.nl/201303/you-think-this-journal-is-real.aspx
The author also mentions Archives des Sciences, Genève, a real journal I
published in. They have a website
http://www.unige.ch/sphn/Publications/ArchivesSciences/Archives.html
and here is an excerpt of the warning they posted there
"WARNING:
The website http://archiveofscience.com (or
http://www.archiveofscience.com/, or also http://sciencesarchive.com or
http://www.sciencesarchive.com; changing with time) IS NOT the official
website of the journal Archives des Sciences published by the SPHN.
This website criminally usurps the identity of the official journal, using
fraudulent means (false editorial board, false addresses, false publication
requirements, /etc./) in order to encourage scientists to publish articles
through finalcial contribution.
The SPHN is not liable for any offense undergone by potential authors who
would have submitted and published scientific articles via the website
mentioned above."
If you have a paer printed journal with no website I would urge you to
build one!
Cheers,
Bruno Granier

=)

*** Do not get me wrong : I have nothing against OA journal. I am a
publisher of one OA journal (and we have no fees attached!) and you can
find a list of geoscience OA journals at
http://paleopolis.rediris.es/geosciences/index.html

=)