Paleonet: Neoproterozoic - Paleozoic Earth history session at GAC-MAC-AGU joint assembly, May 3-7, 2015

Erik Sperling erik.sperling at gmail.com
Sat Dec 20 21:18:56 GMT 2014

Dear colleagues,

On behalf of my co-convener Mr. Justin Strauss, I would like to invite you
to submit an abstract to our session at the upcoming Joint Geological
Association of Canada- Mineralogical Association of Canada- American
Geophysical Union meeting in Montreal, May 3-7th. The session aims to bring
together a diverse group of researchers investigating
Neoproterozoic-Paleozoic Earth history, and will complement other exciting
Earth history sessions during the conference. The website for the
conference can be found here:

http://ja.agu.org/2015/#

Abstracts for this session are due *Wednesday, January 14th*.

Please forward widely to any interested parties. We look forward to seeing
you in Montreal.

Sincerely,

Justin and Erik

*Session Title: *The Neoproterozoic-Paleozoic Earth system: records from an
Earth in transition
*Session Description:*
Sedimentary rocks deposited across the Proterozoic-Phanerozoic transition
record extreme climate fluctuations, a hypothesized rise in atmospheric
oxygen or re-organization of the seafloor redox landscape, and the initial
diversification of animals. While the Ediacaran-Cambrian boundary marks
obvious state changes in a number of biotic and geochemical records, it is
clear that such shifts occur against a background of longer-term trends.
This session will welcome talks on any aspect of Neoproterozoic-Paleozoic
Earth system science, and especially those that seek to compare and
contrast various events (carbon isotope excursions, climatic shifts, anoxic
episodes, seawater chemistry changes, biotic radiations and extinctions)
between the two time periods. Talks focusing on the spectacular Canadian
stratigraphic successions spanning these intervals are also especially
welcome. Overall, this session will bring together researchers from
numerous sub-fields to illuminate the interlinked geochemical,
paleontological, sedimentological and tectonic changes during this
fascinating time period in Earth history.
Co-Sponsor(s):

   - B - Biogeosciences
   - ES - Earth Surface Processes
   - PP - Paleoceanography and Paleoclimatology
   - PG - Precambrian Geology