Paleonet: AMNH Invertebrate Paleontology Intern posting

Bushra M Hussaini hussaini at amnh.org
Wed Mar 5 16:06:03 GMT 2014

>The Division of Paleontology at the American Museum of Natural History is
>offering a small number of full-time, 8-week internships for graduate or
>undergraduate students in geology, invertebrate paleontology, life
>sciences, museum studies, or related fields (June 16, 2014 start). The
>interns will participate in an NSF-funded project to upgrade the
>microfossil collections in the Invertebrate Paleontology collection at
>AMNH.
A summary of the project can be found here:
>http://www.nsf.gov/awardsearch/showAward?AWD_ID=1203394&HistoricalAwards=f
>alse
>A website documenting the progress of this project, including a blog by
>summer 2013 interns can be found here:
>http://www.amnh.org/our-research/paleontology/collections/fossil-invertebr
>ates/microfossil-conservation-and-digitization
>
>The interns will work with collection management staff to rehouse,
>conserve and catalog specimens, to digitally image and CT scan primary
>type specimens and upgrade on-line collections data.
>A stipend will be provided as support over the internship period.

>Required Qualifications:
>Applicants should be enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate degree
>course, or about to apply to a graduate course in invertebrate
>paleontology, life sciences, museum studies, or related fields. Ability
>to work with paleontological research collections, ability to perform
>tasks requiring physical strength and high manual dexterity, proficiency
>in the use of Mac and PC based software, good organizational, excellent
>interpersonal skills, and ability to work independently. Experience
>working in museum collections a plus.
>

>Interested parties should apply online:
>careers.amnh.org/applicants/Central?quickFind=51218
>
>Applications must be received no later than April 6, 2014
>
>Applications cannot be accepted via email or snail mail. Due to the high
>volume of applications, we cannot respond to email inquiries about
>application stautus.
>

>The American Museum of Natural History is one of the world's preeminent
>scientific and cultural institutions. Since it¹s founding in 1869, the

Museum has advanced its global mission to discover, interpret and

disseminate information about human cultures, the natural world and the

universe through a wide-ranging program of scientific research,
>education
and exhibition. The Museum is renowned for its exhibitions and
>scientific collections, which serve as a field guide to the entire planet
>and present
a panorama of the world's cultures.
>The American Museum of Natural History is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
>The Museum does not discriminate due to age, sex, religion, race, color,

national origin, disability, marital status, veteran status, sexual

orientation, or any other factor prohibited by law. Qualified candidates

of diverse ethnic and racial backgrounds are encouraged to apply for

vacant positions at all levels. Please be advised that due to the high

volume of applicants, we are only able to contact those candidates whose

skills and background best fit the needs of the open position.