Paleonet: Role of benthic microfossils in shallow-water carbonate sedimentation

Bruno Granier bgranier at univ-brest.fr
Tue Mar 25 14:09:32 GMT 2014

Dear Paleoneters,
the 19th International Sedimentological Congress will be held in Genève
(Switzerland) from 18 to 22 August 2014.
Ioan I. Bucur and myself will be the chairpersons of the Symposium 26: Role
of benthic microfossils in shallow-water carbonate
sedimentation.
[Foraminifera and "calcareous" algae are common in shallow-water carbonate,
tropical and non-tropical environments. Both groups, as well as companion
micro-encrusters and micro-borers, contribute to the growth and/or the
bioerosion of carbonate sands and gravels (allochems), cobbles and blocks
(larger lithoclasts), as well as large rocky surface areas including
hardgrounds and bioconstructions. This session aims to focus on the
paleoecological and sedimentological role of these microorganisms in
discrete stratigraphical intervals, as well as their importance in the
production and stabilization of the carbonate sediments on ramps and open
or rimmed platforms].
We shall be pleased to meet you there.
[I will have free copies of the brand new DVD of Carnets Geol., spanning
the years 2002 to date]

=)
Bruno
=)

Bruno R.C. Granier (Prof.)

Département des Sciences de la Terre et de l'Univers
UFR des Sciences et Techniques
Université de Bretagne Occidentale (UBO)
6, avenue Le Gorgeu - CS 93837
F-29238 Brest Cedex 3 (France)

http://www.univ-brest.fr/geosciences/granier.html

(Adjunct Researcher)