Paleonet: The mummy returns

Bruno Granier bruno.granier at univ-brest.fr
Thu Nov 20 12:03:35 GMT 2014

Dear Paleoneters,
the "sexy" title was there to attract your attention on the return of the
"fabulous" Mostafa Imam, the Egyptian "Viswa Jit Gupta".
See:
    * Aguirre J. (2004).- Plagiarism in palaeontology. A new threat within
the scientific community.- Revista Española de Micropaleontología, Madrid,
vol. 36, n° 2, p. 349-352.
    * Bosch X. (2004a).- Fallout from fraud.- The Scientist, Philadelphia,
vol. 5, n° 1, 20040922-02 http://www.the-scientist.com/news/20040922/02/
    * Bosch X. (2004b).- Plagiarism in paleontology.- The Scientist,
Philadelphia, vol. 5, n° 1, 20041008-03
http://www.the-scientist.com/news/20041008/03/
    * Granier B., Feist M., Eriksson P.G. & Muhongo S.M. (2008, available
online 7 October 2007).- A micropalaeontological fraud that affected the
JAES.- Journal of African Earth Sciences, Oxford, vol. 50, n° 1, p. 1-5.
    * Granier B., Feist M., Hennessey E., Bucur I.I. & Senowbari-Daryan B.
(2009).- The Imam case. Additional investigation of a micropaleontological
fraud.- Carnets de Géologie / Notebooks on Geology, Brest, Article 2009/04
(CG2009_A04) http://paleopolis.rediris.es/cg/CG2009_A04/index.html
Some time ago (February of this year) and recently again (yesterday) I
received alarming messages from an Egyptian colleague. He told me that the
University of Cairo is about to hire Mostafa Imam as full professor. My
Egyptian colleague is requesting help because he does not want the Egyptian
paleontologists to become the laughingstock of the entire world, because of
the bad behaviour of a single individual.

The point is that, after being caught a first time, Mo(u)stafa Mansour Imam
changed his name to Mansour M. Hamad (that is incredible, isn't it!?...),
but we are 100% sure it is the same person because, in his vitae, he lists
his publications using both names (that is stupid, isn't it!?...):
http://www.univ-brest.fr/geosciences/sedpal/pdf/Imam/2013-Vitae-02.jpg
He changed his name but he did not change much his strategy (copying and
pasting, erroneous identifications, "expertise" in many fields, ...).
If you need evidences, I have assembled a number of files in a folder on
the server of my university:
http://www.univ-brest.fr/geosciences/sedpal/pdf/Imam/

I am passing this message to Paleonet because I do not have much contacts
with Egyptian paleontologists and some Paleoneters will eventually
circulate the information to the right persons in Egypt.

You possibly remember that some years ago my scientific reputation was
under attack (including on Paleonet) by people presenting false identities
... it is easy to imagine who stood behind these attacks.

Bruno Granier