Paleonet: Unknown Permian spheres

Woods, Adam awoods at Exchange.FULLERTON.EDU
Tue Jun 9 13:52:45 GMT 2015

This is early marine cement coating grains (calcispheres and a fusilinid or possibly an ostracod).  The cement looks to have originally been aragonite based on the fibrous nature of the crystals, although the cement in the lower right photo could be low-Mg calcite based on its overall brightness and more blocky nature of the cement.

Cheers,

Adam
Associate Professor
Department of Geological Sciences