Paleonet: 9th Annual Summer Symposium at the Paleontological Research Institution

Dana Friend dsf88 at cornell.edu
Tue May 19 16:14:03 GMT 2015

Please join us for the 9th Annual Summer Symposium at the Paleontological
Research Institution in Ithaca, NY on August 1 & 2, 2015!

The Symposium is a small, fun, and relatively informal event held at the
end of the summer each year. We aim to attract academics, professionals,
and educators from a broad variety of paleontological disciplines. We also
hope to increase ties among paleontology students in the region (and
beyond) and we welcome all levels of students to share their research this
summer. It is an excellent opportunity for students to gain more experience
speaking about their work in a professional format, but in a friendly, less
formal atmosphere. If you are doing research please sign up to share it
with us in a talk or a poster presentation! Talks will be 15-minute slots
(12 minute talks with 3 minutes for questions). Posters should be no wider
than 48 inches and we recommend the height not exceed 36-40 inches. Online
registration will begin soon and will be announced at that time.

Saturday, August 1 will feature posters and oral presentations by
professionals, students, and academics whose research covers paleontology,
earth science or earth science education, including a keynote talk by Dr.
Mark D. Uhen from George Mason University. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner are
included with registration, and the day will run from 8:00am (start of
breakfast, talks start at 9am) until dinner. On Sunday, August 2 Dr. Carl
Brett of the University of Cincinnati will lead a field trip from PRI
focused on the Finger Lakes' Devonian geological history.

Participants and attendees are encouraged to use this symposium as an
opportunity to use PRI’s world-class collections. We invite you to visit
for this purpose on Friday, July 31 but arrangements can be made to use
collections at any point during the weekend. Dr. Greg Dietl and Leslie
Skibinski will help orient you to the collections of your interest. You
will be able to indicate your desire to use collections while registering
online.

We look forward to seeing you this summer at PRI!

Summer Symposium organizing committee:

Dana Friend

Jansen Smith

Brendan Anderson