Paleonet: Survey on using the Paleobiology Database for research or education

Lockwood, Rowan rxlock at wm.edu
Tue Sep 15 15:49:20 GMT 2015

Dear colleagues,

A group of U.S. paleontologists and educators are exploring the potential of big science databases, including the Paleobiology Database, to enhance geoscience education and research at ALL types of institutions. The Paleobiology Database (PBDB, www.paleobiodb.org<http://www.paleobiodb.org>) is an online database that stores information on when and where fossils occur throughout geologic time. It includes a variety of information such as taxonomy, abundance, ecological traits, and body size, all gathered from the scientific literature.

The goal of our research is to learn who is and isn't currently using the PBDB for education and research and why. We are collecting information using the following survey (which only takes 10 minutes to complete):
http://tinyurl.com/pbdbsurvey
If the link doesn't work, simply copy and paste the web address.

This work is supported by a National Science Foundation DUE grant. If you’d like to learn more, see: http://www.nsf.gov/awardsearch/showAward?AWD_ID=1504718

If you have questions regarding this survey, please feel free to contact Dr. Rowan Lockwood at the College of William and Mary (rxlock at wm.edu).

Sincerely,
Rowan

Rowan Lockwood (College of William and Mary)
Callan Bentley (Northern Virginia Community College)
Peter Berquist (Thomas Nelson Community College)
Christian George (High Point University)
Laura Lukes (George Mason University)
Katherine Ryker (Eastern Michigan University)
Mark Uhen (George Mason University)

Rowan Lockwood
Professor, Dept of Geology, The College of William and Mary
Currently on sabbatical at the University of Exeter, Penryn campus