Paleonet: Funding opportunity to work in IU Paleontology Collection

Plotnick, Roy E plotnick at uic.edu
Tue Mar 1 15:25:00 GMT 2016

David:
Is there an online catalog of the collections?  That would be useful if
someone wants to apply to work there, Best - Roy

On 3/1/2016 8:16 AM, Polly, P. David wrote:

> A competitive fellowship to support two weeks of summer research in
> the Indiana University Paleontology Collection is available through
> the IU Institute for Advanced Study
> (http://ias.indiana.edu/fellows/summer-research-fellowship/)   The IU
> Paleontology Collection contains 1.3 million fossils with specialities
> in mid Paleozoic macroinvertebrates
> (http://www.indiana.edu/~palcoll/).  Deadline for applications is
> March 21, 2016.
>
> The Indiana University Institute for Advanced Study is now accepting
> applications for its 2016 Summer Repository Research Fellowship. In
> partnership with repositories on the IU Bloomington campus and
> supported by the Office of the Vice Provost for Research, the program
> funds a short-term fellowship for a faculty member or community
> scholar to conduct in-depth research in the collections of one or more
> of our partner repositories. Applicants from Minority
> Serving Institutions, community colleges, and source communities are
> welcome. Preference will be given to applicants who are collaborating
> with Indiana University Bloomington faculty members.
>
> This initiative is intended to support research in the rich
> collections of the IU Bloomington campus and to build partnerships
> between scholars at and beyond IUB.  The fellowship provides funding
> for travel costs, accommodation, per diem, and a two-week
> stipend.  Please note: This fellowship is intended to support research
> in IU Bloomington’s unique collections; the application should focus
> on materials that cannot be accessed elsewhere.
>
> Summer 2016 partner repositories include the Archives of African
> American Music and Culture, the Archives of Traditional Music, the
> Black Film Center/Archive, the Glenn A. Black Laboratory of
> Archaeology, The IU Art Museum, the IU Herbarium, the IU Libraries,
> the IU Paleontology Collection, the Jerome Hall Law Library,
> the Mathers Museum of World Cultures, and the Sinor Research Institute
> for Inner Asian Studies Central Asian Archives. Applications are due
> by March 21, 2016. For application materials and additional
> information, please visit our website
> at http://ias.indiana.edu/fellows/summer-research-fellowship/ .
>

> P. David Polly
> Professor of Geological Sciences
> and adjunct professor of Anthropology and Biology
> Indiana University
> 1001 E. 10th Street
> Bloomington, IN  47405-1405
> pdpolly at indiana.edu <mailto:pdpolly at indiana.edu>
> +1 (812) 855-7994
> http://mypage.iu.edu/~pdpolly/ <http://mypage.iu.edu/%7Epdpolly/>

Roy E. Plotnick
Professor
University of Illinois at Chicago
845 W. Taylor St.
Chicago, IL 60607

E-mail: plotnick at uic.edu
office 2454 SES
office phone: 312-996-2111     fax: 312-413-2279
lab phone: 312-355-1342

web page: http://www.uic.edu/~plotnick/plotnick.htm

"The scientific celebrities, forgetting their molluscs and glacial periods, gossiped about art, while devoting themselves to oysters and ices with characteristic energy.." -Little Women, Louisa  May Alcott