Paleonet: true strat ranges

Plotnick, Roy E plotnick at uic.edu
Tue Mar 8 19:15:49 GMT 2016

Pierre:
there are numerous numerical approaches to this problem; most are not
that simple. Depends on the data. Here are some references:
Marshall, C. R. 1990. CONFIDENCE-INTERVALS ON STRATIGRAPHIC RANGES.
Paleobiology 16(1):1-10.
Marshall, C. R. 1994. Confidence-Intervals On Stratigraphic Ranges -
Partial Relaxation of the Assumption of Randomly Distributed Fossil
Horizons. Paleobiology 20(4):459-469.
Marshall, C. R. 1997. Confidence intervals on stratigraphic ranges with
nonrandom distributions of fossil horizons. Paleobiology 23(2):165-173.
Sadler, P. M. 2004. Quantitative biostratigraphy - achieving finer
resolution in global correlation. Annual Review of Earth and Planetary
Sciences 32:187-213.
Strauss, D., and P. M. Sadler. 1989. Classical Confidence-Intervals and
Bayesian Probability Estimates For Ends of Local Taxon Ranges.
Mathematical Geology 21(4):411-421.

Hope this helps - Roy

On 3/7/2016 1:17 AM, Pierre & Peta Kruse wrote:
> Dear colleagues
> I've been hunting for papers that provide a reasonably simple formula
> for calculating true stratigraphic ranges based on observed
> occurrences. Can anyone recommend a paper or provide a pdf?
> Thanks
> Pierre

Roy E. Plotnick
Professor
University of Illinois at Chicago
845 W. Taylor St.
Chicago, IL 60607

E-mail: plotnick at uic.edu
office 2454 SES
office phone: 312-996-2111     fax: 312-413-2279
lab phone: 312-355-1342

web page: http://www.uic.edu/~plotnick/plotnick.htm

"The scientific celebrities, forgetting their molluscs and glacial periods, gossiped about art, while devoting themselves to oysters and ices with characteristic energy.." -Little Women, Louisa  May Alcott