Paleonet: 24th Biennial Meeting of the American Quaternary Association

Kate Lyons lyonsskate at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 15:31:58 GMT 2016

Abstract deadline is April 20th. It's going to be a great meeting! Please
consider attending.

*What:* 24th Biennial Meeting of the American Quaternary Association
*When*: June 28-July 2, 2016
*Where*: Santa Fe Convention Center, Santa Fe, NM
*Info*: http://biology.unm.edu/fasmith/2016AMQUA/

A pressing challenge for Quaternarists is the development of innovative and
robust methodologies and approaches to discriminate how geological and
ecological rates and processes in the Anthropocene deviate from the
Holocene and other times past. The 24th AMQUA Biennial Meeting will
 address the theme, “Retooling the Quaternary to Manage the Anthropocene,”
and kickoff on Tuesday, June 28, 2016with three exciting, all-day
fieldtrips addressing ongoing research on Geology and Paleohydrology of the
Jemez Mountains; Vegetation, Fire, and Alluvial Histories in the Jemez
Mountains; and Paleoindian Geoarcheology in Middle Rio Grande Basin.

Our meeting’s keynote speaker is the award-winning science writer Andrew
Revkin, author of the New York Times blog DotEarth and himself a member of
the Anthropocene Working Group of the Subcommittee on Quaternary
Stratigraphy. Over two and a half days, our 25 invited plenary speakers
(see program) will address different aspects of the “Retooling”
challenges.  The remaining presentations will be contributed posters. All
posters will be featured in one-minute lightning talks (1-2 slides) at
strategic times during the technical program and with 3-hour poster
sessions each afternoon. After the meeting adjourns at noon on Friday, July
1, we are offering a guided tour to the New Mexico Museum of Natural
History & Science in Albuquerque and an all-day Neotoma/Tilia/Bacon
workshop at the University of New Mexico on July 2.

We recognize the educational value of the meeting and strongly encourage
students to register and apply for AMQUA Student Travel Grants on our
meeting registration page. The 24th Biennial AMQUA meeting is sponsored by
the University of New Mexico, USGS and other organizations.

Abstract deadline: April 20, 2016
Abstract notifications: May 1, 2016 (rolling notifications prior to
deadline)
Early registration: October 1, 2015 to May 5, 2016
Fieldtrip & workshop registration deadline: June 1, 2016
Hotel registration deadline: May 10, 2016
Late registration deadline: June 1, 2016
Pre-meeting field trips: June 28, 2016
Post-meeting fieldtrip: July 1, 2016
Post-meeting Neotoma workshop (in Albuquerque): July 2, 2016