Paleonet: Mapping Trait Evolution, June 5-9, Barcelona (Spain)
soledad.esteban at icp.cat
Tue Oct 11 10:57:58 GMT 2016
Transmitting Science is offering a new course: “Mapping Trait Evolution”, June 5th-9th, 2017.
Instructor: Dr. Jeroen Smaers (Stony Brook University, USA).
Monday. (R packages: ape, Geiger).
§ Morning: Phylogenetic data.
· What is the basic structure of phylogenetic data?
· How to visualize and manipulate phylogenetic data?
§ Afternoon: Models of evolution.
· What are models of evolution?
· What are the assumptions of the different models of evolution?
· How are models of evolution utilized?
Tuesday. (R packages: ape, nlme, caper, evomap).
§ Morning: Phylogenetic regression.
· Assumptions, properties, and applications of the phylogenetic regression.
§ Afternoon: Phylogenetic ancova.
· Testing for grade shifts using the phylogenetic regression.
Wednesday. (R packages: phytools, motmot, geiger, ape, evomap, BayesTraits).
§ Morning: Ancestral estimation.
· Using models of evolution to estimate values of ancestral nodes.
§ Afternoon: Analysis of rates of evolution.
· Estimation of rates of evolution.
· Testing hypothesis about rates of evolution.
Thursday. (R packages: bayou, phylolm, surface, OUwie, mvMORPH).
§ Morning: Inferring the structure of a macroevolutionary landscape.
· Using Ornstein-Uhlenbeck models to map macroevolutionary patterns.
§ Afternoon: Testing the structure of a macroevolutionary landscape.
· Applications and assumptions of OU models.
· Using OU models to test macroevolutionary hypotheses.
Friday. (R packages: geomorph).
§ Morning: Modularity and integration.
· What is ‘phylogenetic’ modularity and integration?
· Applications and assumptions.
§ Afternoon: Case study.
MORE INFO: http://www.transmittingscience.org/courses/evolution/mapping-trait-evolution/
With best regards
Soledad De Esteban-Trivigno
Institut Català de Paleontologia Miquel Crusafont (ICP)
Campus de la Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona
Cerdanyola del Vallès (Barcelona). Spain
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Paleonet