Paleonet: GSA 2017 Topical Session: Citizen Science in Paleontology (T64)

Eleanor Gardner eegardner at gmail.com
Thu Apr 13 14:08:08 GMT 2017

Hello everyone,

We are convening a technical session ‘T64 Citizen Science in paleontology:
harnessing public interest to advance research and STEM education’ at the
Geological Society of America annual meeting in Seattle, Washington, 22-25
October 2017.

Successes and lessons learned in paleontology citizen science will be the
backbone of this session. We will include academic paleontologists,
educators, and non-academic speakers to: (1) present examples of strong
citizen science projects; (2) discuss effective strategies for improving
informal science education through citizen science; and (3) showcase the
potential of citizen science to educate the public in paleontological
research themes relating to evolution, climate change, and biodiversity.

Through a combination of case studies, theory presentations, and
question-and-answer sessions, we hope to encourage more paleontologists of
all levels to understand citizen science as a viable means for addressing
research questions, and to provide a rewarding science experience for
members of the public.

If you are involved in a project that fits the scope of this session, we
hope that you will consider submitting an abstract. We want to present a
diverse range of possibilities, so projects relating to any taxa, from
speakers of any professional background, are encouraged.

Abstract submission will be open until August 1st at
http://community.geosociety.org/gsa2017/science-careers/sessions/abstracts.
Please email us if you have any questions and feel free to forward this
information to any potentially interested groups.

Regards,

Laura Soul (Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History, SoulL at si.edu)

Eleanor Gardner (FOSSIL Project, Florida Museum of Natural History,
egardner at flmnh.ufl.edu)

Terry Gates (NC State University and NC Museum of Natural Sciences,
terryagates at gmail.com)