Paleonet: GSA Topical Session: Impact of Extinction Events on the Ecological and Geochemical Functioning of Marine Ecosystems (T54)

N. MacLeod n.macleod9 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 8 07:59:27 GMT 2017

This just in …

------------

Dear colleagues,
We encourage you to submit an abstract for our topical session: “Impact of Extinction Events on the Ecological and Geochemical Functioning of Marine Ecosystems (T54)” to be held at the GSA Annual Meeting in Seattle, Washington, on Oct. 22-25, 2017. The theme of this session is focused on the interactions between animal, plant and microbial components of the marine ecosystem and the important role they play in influencing biogeochemical cycles and elemental sequestration in the marine realm. There have been major advances in understanding changes in the ecological and geochemical records of the oceans during various extinction events, and this session aims to explore these advances in our understanding of the concomitant ecological and geochemical shifts across extinction events. The overarching goal is to create the opportunity for scientists specializing in paleobiology, inorganic and organic geochemisty, paleoecology, paleoclimatology, microbiology, and sedimentology to interact and generate ideas for future integrated studies on the impact of extinction events on the functioning of marine ecosystems.
The GSA abstract website is now open for submissions and the abstract deadline is August 1st. Finally, feel free to contact us if you have any further questions, and, if you know others who might be interested in this session, we would appreciate your forwarding this announcement to them.

Yours sincerely,
William Foster (University of Texas at Austin)
Peter Harries (North Carolina State University)
Martin Aberhan (Museum für Naturkunde)

William Foster
Dr. William J. Foster
Distinguished Postdoctoral Fellow
University of Texas
2275 Speedway
Austin
TX 78712

Professor Norman MacLeod
The Natural History Museum, Cromwell Road, London, SW7 5BD
(0)207 942-5204 (Office Landline)
(0)785 017-1787 (Mobile)
http://paleonet.org/MacLeod/

Department of Earth Sciences, University College
London, Gower Street, London WC1E 6BT, UK

Nanjing Institute of Geology & Palaeontology,
Chinese Academy of Sciences, 39 Beijing, Donglu, Nanjing, China