Paleonet: Submit an abstract to GSA 2017 Topical Session T51: Integrating paleo and neontological approaches to macroevolution

Paul Harnik paul.harnik at fandm.edu
Mon Jul 17 03:50:11 GMT 2017

Dear All,

We are convening a topical session entitled “Biodiversity dynamics in the face of environmental change: Integrating paleontological and neontological approaches to macroevolution” at the 2017 Geological Society of America conference. The conference will be held 22-25 October in Seattle, Washington. Our session (T51) will focus on how environmental changes have shaped Earth’s biodiversity through geologic time and how these macroevolutionary relationships might be used to understand the responses of extant species to current and projected environmental conditions. Invited speakers include Samantha Price (University of California, Davis), Andy Purvis (Natural History Museum London), and Alejandro Ordonez (Queen's University).

If you have a current project that fits the scope of our session we hope that you will consider submitting an abstract for consideration. Abstract submission will be open around April 1st, 2017 and close on August 1. We are keenly interested in putting together a slate of talks that span a diversity of disciplinary approaches and including presenters from neontological backgrounds who are interested in incorporating paleontological perspectives into their research. For more information about the conference:https://www.geosociety.org/GSA/Events/Annual_Meeting/GSA/Events/gsa2017.aspx.

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact us and if you know others who might be interested please consider forwarding this announcement to them.

Best wishes,

Shan Huang (Senckenberg Biodiversity and Climate Research Centre,shan.huang at senckenberg.de)
Paul Harnik (Franklin & Marshall College,paul.harnik at fandm.edu)
Lee Hsiang Liow (Natural History Museum & Centre for Ecological and Evolutionary Synthesis, University of Oslo,l.h.liow at ibv.uio.no)