Paleonet: John Pojeta, thank you

Roger D. K. Thomas roger.thomas at fandm.edu
Sat Jul 22 02:39:26 GMT 2017

 Dear Tricia,

     Many thanks both for sending me the sad news of John Pojeta’s death
and attaching his obituary.   Mary Lou called late this afternoon, and we
had a long heart-to-heart chat.  John and Mary Lou have been wonderful
friends to me, personally and professionally, throughout my career.  I will
miss John greatly.  I very much regret that he will not see the publication
of our new evidence bearing on the nature and evolutionary
relationships of *Pelagiella.
 *He was one of the first to hear of our discovery of preserved sets of
chaetae, about which we talked many times.

     Warm regards,   Roger

On Fri, Jul 21, 2017 at 4:14 PM, Kelley, Patricia <kelleyp at uncw.edu> wrote:

> It is with great sadness that I report the death of John Pojeta to his
> colleagues. John will be long remembered and greatly missed!
>

> Mary Lou Pojeta asked me to post the following on PaleoNet.
>
> Dr. John Pojeta, Jr. passed away on July 6th, 2017 at Casey House,
> Rockville, Maryland. John is survived by his wife of 60 years, Mary Lou,
> his daughter Kim (TJ Oakes), son John (Christine Linn), brother Martin
> (Linda Pojeta), niece Lee Ann Selkowitz (Eric Selkowitz), plus six
> grand-children and two great-grand-children.
>
> John is a graduate of the University of Cincinnati, where he founded a
> life-long domestic and professional partnership with Mary Lou. After
> graduation, he was appointed to the U.S. Geological Survey and served as
> geologist, paleontologist, and eventually Branch Chief through a rich and
> distinguished career. Since retirement in 1994, he remained active as
> Scientist Emeritus with the U.S.G.S. and a Research Associate of the
> Department of Paleobiology at the Smithsonian’s Museum of Natural History.
>
> John’s career focus was Ordovician and Cambrian mollusks. He will be
> remembered for outstanding teamwork on fossils from Kentucky, Australia,
> and Antarctica as well as many other parts of the world. He was a
> career-long member and enthusiastic supporter of numerous professional
> organizations, but especially of the Paleontological Research Institution
> and the Paleontological Society. His and Mary Lou’s contributions are
> celebrated by the Pojeta Award (paleosoc.org/grants-and-
> awards/pojeta-award), which commemorates their indefatigable and
> splendidly cheerful service to the Paleontological Society and its members
> over several decades.
>
> A celebration of John Pojeta’s life will be held at a future date. In lieu
> of flowers, please send donations to Casey House hospice, Rockville, MD,
> the Paleontological Research Institution, or to the Paleontological Society.
>

> Dr. Patricia H. Kelley
>
> Professor Emerita of Geology
>
> Department of Earth and Ocean Sciences
>
> University of North Carolina Willmington
>
> Wilmington, NC 28403-5944
>
> kelleyp at uncw.edu

Roger D. K. Thomas
John Williamson Nevin Professor of Geosciences, Emeritus
___________________________________
Department of Earth and Environment
Franklin & Marshall College
P.O. Box 3003