Paleonet: John Pojeta, thank you

Wingard, Georgiana lwingard at usgs.gov
Thu Jul 27 21:09:30 GMT 2017

Yes, thank you Tricia for posting the news of John Pojeta's passing.

Mary Lou also called to tell me the news.  In my early years as a student
technician at the USGS I benefited greatly from being part of discussions
between John and Norm Sohl, listening to John and Ellis Yochelson debate
the origins of the mollusks, and many other fascinating discussions that I
was always included in.  John's mentorship while I was a student continued
once I completed my PhD.  It was John that hired me as a research geologist
for the USGS.  I will forever be in his debt for shaping my career so
profoundly.  Even as his health failed, he never tired of hearing what was
new, what was I working on.

Yes, John will be greatly missed.
Lynn Wingard

On Fri, Jul 21, 2017 at 10:39 PM, Roger D. K. Thomas <roger.thomas at fandm.edu
> wrote:

> Dear Tricia,
>
>      Many thanks both for sending me the sad news of John Pojeta’s death
> and attaching his obituary.   Mary Lou called late this afternoon, and we
> had a long heart-to-heart chat.  John and Mary Lou have been wonderful
> friends to me, personally and professionally, throughout my career.  I will
> miss John greatly.  I very much regret that he will not see the publication
> of our new evidence bearing on the nature and evolutionary relationships of *Pelagiella.
>  *He was one of the first to hear of our discovery of preserved sets of
> chaetae, about which we talked many times.
>
>      Warm regards,   Roger
>

> On Fri, Jul 21, 2017 at 4:14 PM, Kelley, Patricia <kelleyp at uncw.edu>
> wrote:
>
>> It is with great sadness that I report the death of John Pojeta to his
>> colleagues. John will be long remembered and greatly missed!
>>

>> Mary Lou Pojeta asked me to post the following on PaleoNet.
>>
>> Dr. John Pojeta, Jr. passed away on July 6th, 2017 at Casey House,
>> Rockville, Maryland. John is survived by his wife of 60 years, Mary Lou,
>> his daughter Kim (TJ Oakes), son John (Christine Linn), brother Martin
>> (Linda Pojeta), niece Lee Ann Selkowitz (Eric Selkowitz), plus six
>> grand-children and two great-grand-children.
>>
>> John is a graduate of the University of Cincinnati, where he founded a
>> life-long domestic and professional partnership with Mary Lou. After
>> graduation, he was appointed to the U.S. Geological Survey and served as
>> geologist, paleontologist, and eventually Branch Chief through a rich and
>> distinguished career. Since retirement in 1994, he remained active as
>> Scientist Emeritus with the U.S.G.S. and a Research Associate of the
>> Department of Paleobiology at the Smithsonian’s Museum of Natural History.
>>
>> John’s career focus was Ordovician and Cambrian mollusks. He will be
>> remembered for outstanding teamwork on fossils from Kentucky, Australia,
>> and Antarctica as well as many other parts of the world. He was a
>> career-long member and enthusiastic supporter of numerous professional
>> organizations, but especially of the Paleontological Research Institution
>> and the Paleontological Society. His and Mary Lou’s contributions are
>> celebrated by the Pojeta Award (paleosoc.org/grants-and-award
>> s/pojeta-award), which commemorates their indefatigable and splendidly
>> cheerful service to the Paleontological Society and its members over
>> several decades.
>>
>> A celebration of John Pojeta’s life will be held at a future date. In
>> lieu of flowers, please send donations to Casey House hospice, Rockville,
>> MD, the Paleontological Research Institution, or to the Paleontological
>> Society.
>>

>> Dr. Patricia H. Kelley
>>
>> Professor Emerita of Geology
>>
>> Department of Earth and Ocean Sciences
>>
>> University of North Carolina Willmington
>>
>> Wilmington, NC 28403-5944

> [...]

G. Lynn Wingard, Ph.D.
Research Geologist /Project Chief
Eastern Geology and Paleoclimate Science Center
US Geological Survey
MS 926A National Center
Reston, VA  20192

https://www.usgs.gov/staff-profiles/g-lynn-wingard