Paleonet: Open collections manager position

Peter Roopnarine proopnarine at calacademy.org
Sat Apr 7 16:29:11 GMT 2018

Dear colleagues,

The Invertebrate Zoology and Geology Department at the California Academy
of Sciences (CAS) is seeking a Collection Manager for Geology.  The Academy
is the oldest natural history museum in the western United States and
welcomes people of all backgrounds, identities, and beliefs to join us in
achieving our mission to explore, explain and sustain life on Earth.

The Geological Collections at CAS contain over 8 million specimens,
including one of the best collections of Pacific Basin invertebrates of the
Mesozoic and Cenozoic ages and fossil fish, foraminifera and plants from
California and the western U.S.  The mineral collection includes a
meteorite and gemstone collection and is worldwide in scope. Also housed in
the department is the world’s third largest collection of both fossil and
recent diatoms.

*Qualifications:  *Candidates should have at least a Master’s degree in
Earth Sciences or a comparable field; four years of experience in
collections curation or closely related work; two years of experience
supervising staff and volunteers; and two years of experience managing
budgets.  Comprehensive knowledge of curatorial procedures, regulations,
taxonomy, databases and the literature relevant to the Academy’s geology
collections is also desired, as is experience with grant writing and field
work.

*Application Deadline:* April 30, 2018.  A complete job description with
further details about the duties and qualifications for this position can
be found at:  http://calacademy.snaphire.com/jobdetails?ajid=IM4Y8

Dr. Peter D. Roopnarine, Curator of Geology
Department of Invertebrate Zoology & Geology
Institute for Biodiversity Science and Sustainability
California Academy of Sciences
55 Music Concourse Drive
Golden Gate Park
San Francisco CA 94118

Phone: (415) 379-5271
FAX: (415) 379-5732
WWW:
https://www.calacademy.org/staff/ibss/invertebrate-zoology-and-geology/peter-roopnarine
Twitter: @peterroopnarine
Blogs: http://proopnarine.wordpress.com
"If I could explain it to the average person, I wouldn't have been worth
the Nobel Prize", R. Feynman
<http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/r/richardpf116607.html>