Paleonet: Self promotion

Michael Hesemann michael at foraminifera.eu
Tue May 15 16:50:43 GMT 2018

Dear Roy,

agreed - collections are of utmost importance. To be added: Curators and
museum-people should care more to make them accessible to the general
public and professionals. An inventory list is not enough.

E.g. in my case I collect and study foraminifera. I am not able though
to travel around the world to the widely dispersed physical holotype
collections of forams. I also learned from curators, that their physical
collections are not much visited. About 10 years ago I started to image
my foraminifera, attached to each image a couple of data and put them
online. Now having 12.500 images+data entries even the American Museum
of Natural History in NY gave us images of their forams in order to make
them accessible. Maybe I should add, that the foraminifera.eu database
is visited daily by 250 visitors, of which at least 20 spent a lot of time.

Michael

--
Michael Hesemann
Foraminifera.eu Project