Paleonet: 12th Annual Summer Symposium at the Paleontological Research Institution

Dana Friend dsf88 at cornell.edu
Tue May 29 20:19:09 GMT 2018

Please join us for the 12th Annual Summer Symposium at the Paleontological
Research Institution in Ithaca, NY on July 28 & 29, 2018!

The Symposium is a small, fun, and relatively informal event held at the
end of the summer each year. We aim to attract academics, professionals,
and educators from all varieties of natural science disciplines including
paleontology, biology, and earth sciences, and geology. We also hope to
increase ties among paleontology students in the region (and beyond) and we
welcome all levels of students to share their research this summer. It is
an excellent opportunity for students to gain more experience speaking
about their work in a professional format, but in a friendly, less formal
atmosphere. If you are doing research, please sign up to share it with us
in a talk or a poster presentation! Talks will be 15-minute slots (12
minute talks with 3 minutes for questions). Posters should be no wider than
48 inches and we recommend the height not exceed 36-40 inches. Online
registration system is still under construction but will open soon; we will
alert you when registration is officially available.

*Saturday, July 28th* will feature posters and oral presentations by
professionals, students, academics, and expert amateurs whose research
covers paleontology, biology, earth science or earth science education,
including a keynote talk by Dr. Shaena Montanari, AAAS Science and
Technology Policy Fellow at National Science Foundation. Breakfast, lunch,
and dinner are included with registration, and the day will run from 9:00am
through dinner.

*Sunday, July 29th*, expert(s) in Devonian geological history, including
Dr. Carl Brett of the University of Cincinnati will lead a field trip from
PRI to localities in the Finger Lakes region. Field trip registration will
include lunch but guests are encouraged to bring their own snacks and
water.

For more information please contact symposium at priweb.org. We hope to see
you this summer at PRI!

Sincerely,